We are located in Animas, New Mexico
4 hours from Phoenix, Arizona
2.5 hours from both Tucson, Arizona and El Paso, Texas
There is plenty of lodging available in the area, but for a modest fee, you can book accommodations on site. There are studio apartments available, as well as RV hookups.
Planning a visit? There’s a lot more to Dark Sky New Mexico than a front row seat to some of the best dark skies in the world, and while you’re waiting for the stars to come out, there’s plenty of fun activities to do during daylight hours!
DSNM is located near Animas NM in a remote area of the state’s southwestern “bootheel” region. The nearest major airports are about three driving hours away in El Paso TX and Tucson AZ. GPS Coordinates are 31°56’50.5”N 108°53’58.1”W
The best directions to the site are:
From the east:
1. Take I-10 West through Lordsburg NM to Exit 11 (Animas)
2. Turn Left at the top off the off-ramp and Drive South on NM 338 to Animas (25 miles)
3. Turn West or Right on NM 9 toward Rodeo
4. Drive West on NM 9 to Washburn Road (4.7 miles)
5. Turn North or Right on to Washburn Road
6. Drive North to the Ranch House and park on the north side (300 meters)
From the west:
1. Take I-10 East past San Simon AZ
2. Cross the Arizona-New Mexico state line and veer Right at Exit 11 (Animas)
3. Drive South on NM 338 to Animas (25 miles)
4. Turn West or Right on NM 9 toward Rodeo
5. Drive West on NM 9 to Washburn Road (4.7 miles)
6. Turn North or Right on to Washburn Road
7. Drive North to the Ranch House and park on the north side (300 meters)
Most visitors are inclined to ignore these directions and, instead, decide they can use their Google Maps app. This decision absolutely guarantees you will find yourself stuck in an arroyo designated on your app as North Washburn Road. We also know that, when you find yourself stuck, you will need to walk about three miles to obtain very weak cell phone service. And as Mr. Murphy would have it, you will probably get stuck on a moonless night, snow will be coming down hard, and the coyotes will be howling! Simplest solution? Follow the directions above.
By the way, NM 338 is local law enforcement’s favorite road for issuing citations. Cruise control at the posted speed is a good option!